For any website , branding is very important because
A word is a word, and a picture is worth a thousand…but a brand is
worth a million
So before doing branding in SharePoint find out the answer of following questions and then start customization.
- One of the first decisions to make is which version of SharePoint will be used for the project?
- Is there an existing website or SharePoint site that the new SharePoint site will replace?
- What screen resolution will be targeted for your SharePoint branding
- What browsers and operating systems will be supported by your SharePoint site
- Will master pages or SharePoint themes be used to create the branding? Will both be required?
- Will this be a new design or will it be based on some existing branding?
- Is there an existing corporate style guide that needs to be followed?
- Are there any stylistic requirements, such as preferred or disliked colors, fonts, or imagery?
- Who will the audience be?
- What sort of navigation is required? Horizontal navigation? Vertical navigation? Both?
- Will any third-party Web Parts or controls be needed?
- How will the branding be deployed to the production SharePoint server?
- What is the time frame to deliver the new branding?
After getting answer of these question start SharePoint designer and start branding.